qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu snapshot enchancement

From: Wenchao Xia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu snapshot enchancement
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:16:46 +0800

于 2013-1-24 17:47, Stefan Hajnoczi 写道:

Case 3:

  * What does "blank data" mean?  Besides that the use case
    makes sense.

   Will remove the words.

  * When discussing this use case in the past it was suggested that the
    guest doesn't need to be paused during the LVM snapshot.  Instead the
    QEMU block layer might be able to queue I/O requests, allowing the
    guest to run.

   That is a good idea, but seems need more work(event, block layer...),
hope it can be added as an enchancement of this case. Now let the
dedicated storage software/hardware take the job by pausing for a while
(<200ms?)

Yes, allowing the guest to continue but queuing I/O will require extra
block layer work and maybe a QMP command.  There is a also a risk: if
the snapshot takes too long to complete, the guest may notice that its
I/O request are taking a long time.  It may decide that they have timed
out and report an error to the application or in the message logs.

In the beginning it's easier to pause the VM but let's keep queuing I/O
in mind so it can be added later, if necessary.

  Yep, the code should leave a room for queuing.

  I have updated the wiki, which added the step details of the cases
. Cases 3 are fixed, which have best performance in qemu management
type. But I am not sure if it is workable in theory to export base
data of an qcow2 image having internal snapshot, what do you think
of it?

--
Best Regards

Wenchao Xia