qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Bug with qxl vga memory settings

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Bug with qxl vga memory settings
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:51:06 +0400

[Adding spice-devel@ back - I don't think we should drop this
 list, even if it will be a repost there.]

I've just a small comment below, -- I haven't gotten to testing it myself yet,
was too busy today to do anything useful.

25.01.2013 18:37, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Debugging qxl problem with xen I tested first qemu without xen and I found
> that qxl memory mapping problem is not only xen related.
> After some tests with qemu-only I found that -global qxl-vga.vram_size=N and
> -global qxl-vga.ram_size=N (where N is for example 16384 or 65536) are bugged.
> Qxl ram regions with these parameters on all test are always:
>
> qxl-0: ram/pri: 32 MB [region 0]
> qxl-0: vram/32: 0 MB [region 1]
> qxl-0: vram/64: 0 MB [unmapped]
>
> Qemu crashes when start using qxl.
> For full log of one test with this problem see attachment qemulog1
>
> Without -global qxl-vga.vram_size=N and -global qxl-vga.ram_size=N qxl ram
> region it seems correct and qemu doesn't crash.
> For full log of such test see attachment qemulog2
>
> With -global qxl-vga.vram_size_mb=N and -global qxl-vga.ram_size_mb=N it
> seems correctly working.
> For full log of such test see attachment qemulog3
>
> About qxl with xen there are other problems.
> Is there a way to understand that is an effective xen problem and not on
> qemu? Should I searching something specific in the logs?
> See attachment qemu-dm-WHEEZY
> For example I saw that on ALL tests with right qxl memory region 0 and 1
> there is also another unmapped region > 0 mb.
> Is it correct or is it wrong and can be the cause of crash with xen if qemu
> search for videoram > region0+region1?
> qxl-0: ram/pri: 32 MB [region 0]
> qxl-0: vram/32: 32 MB [region 1]
> qxl-0: vram/64: 32 MB [unmapped]
>
> I saw also that qemu 1.3 debian package use vgabios from vgabios 0.7 package
> instead of seabios 1.7.2 package.
> Can be a problem with qxl?

I haven't noticed this -- will switch in the next release, -- seavgabios
in debian is already available, the only thing needed is to change the
vgabios-* symlinks in /usr/share/qemu to point to seabios binaries instead
of vgabios binaries.  You can do that any time.

> If you need more test and detail tell me and I'll do/post it.
>
> Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

Thanks,

/mjt