qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What to do about non-qdevified devices?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What to do about non-qdevified devices?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:58:20 +0100

Il 30/01/2013 14:44, Andreas Färber ha scritto:
> I disagree on the "or else" part. I have been qdev'ifying and QOM'ifying
> devices in my maintenance area, and progress is slow. It gets even
> slower if one leaves clearly maintained areas. I see no good reason to
> force a pistol on someone's breast, like you have done for IDE, unless
> there is a good reason to do so. Currently I don't see any.

The reason for IDE is that it involved devices that are not
SysBusDevices (the IDE disk devices).  Having the same code work in two
ways, one qdevified and one not, is bad.

For simple SysBusDevice you're changing a crappy default to a less bad
one, but there's really little incentive to qdev/QOM-ification.

Paolo