qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-ga: user tool in /usr/bin ?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-ga: user tool in /usr/bin ?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:37:06 +0400

I wonder why qemu-ga is a user-callable binary as installed
by `make install'.  It appears to be a system daemon which,
at the very least, requires root privileges to write its
pidfile and open the transport device.

Shouldn't it go to $sbindir or even $libexecdir instead of
the current $bindif ?  I think it has nothing to do in the
main $bindir.

I understand there's no infrastructure in Makefiles to
install tools into dirs other than $bindir, but it is not
difficult to add.  The question is whenever there are other
reasons for qemu-ga going into /usr/bin.

Thanks,

/mjt