qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] unix sockets for qemu

From: clownix
Subject: [Qemu-devel] unix sockets for qemu
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 19:02:30 -0600

You know the inet sockets in qemu:
-net socket,vlan=1,connect=127.0.0.1:47654
Well, a bug I looked into lead me to code a very simple process doing a
"cable" between two machines connected with this config. This setup gave
surprising results and lead me to compare ping timings between this new
inet sockets I made to reproduce the bug for Stefan Hajnoczi and my usual
unix sockets I use in cloonix.
My reason to use unix sockets is only not to use global machine resources
such as tcp ports, it was not for performance at the time...

I noticed the very surprisingly long ping time (40ms!!!!) I looked for a
bug in my "cable" for hours to see where time was spent, then I built the
unix socket inside the same "cable" code.
I now have to share the experiment with you.
The associated file contains a README that will guide you through the
experiment that shows the difference between unix socket carried pings:
0.7ms and inet carried pings: 40ms!!!
Untar compile and test:)
-net socket,vlan=1,connect=unix:/tmp/guest1.sock
Regards
Vincent Perrier