qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:53:03 +0200

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:43:53AM -0400, Kenneth Goldman wrote:
> A few comments FWIW
>
> When I first did TPM 1.2, I stored different parts of the TPM NV data
> (permanent data, owner evict keys, defined space) in different files.  It got
> ugly and I eventually changed to one big blob, This was far more portable,
> worked better for real flash memory, etc.  It also handles integrity and/or
> encryption with less overhead.
>
> As for encoding, I didn't bother with DER, XML, etc, as the TPM was big enough
> without importing complex parsers.  The TPM already requires marshalling and
> unmarshalling code in its native binary format for command and response
> handling, so I just reused that code.  I added version numbers and count
> values
> to handle changes to the format, and a hash to detect corruption.
>
> --
> Ken Goldman   address@hidden
> 914-945-2415 (862-2415)

Yea it's not hard to invent a random format each time we write something
on disk.

But I think ASN.1 BER will be useful to have in qemu anyway.  E.g. it's a
better format for migration than what we have now.  Once we have it in
tree re-using it seems cleaner than maintaining some per-TPM thing.

--
MST