qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Target-agnostic virtio?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Target-agnostic virtio?
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 00:37:14 -0500

On 04/20/2013 05:36:46 AM, Blue Swirl wrote:
> I plan to add a sparc64 target built from source to Aboriginal Linux.
>
> For a lot of the 64-bit targets, actual 64 bit userspace support is
> strangely lacking. For ppc64 they say to use ppc32, and I've been told that
> about sparc64 as well. I don't know if this is an optimization or a
> requirement. I have a 32 bit image, I'd like to test the 64 bit codepaths as
> well...

It's a sort of optimization, the pointers are smaller. OpenBSD/sparc64
takes a different approach, every binary is 64 bits. Would it be hard
to make Aboriginal *BSD? ;-)

Not _that_ hard, but I'm not sure it's interesting?

Aboriginal Linux is basically 7 packages: linux, gcc, binutils, uClibc, make, bash, and busybox. (I also add distcc so the native toolchain can move some of the heavy lifting of compilation outside the emulator, but that's optional.)

This is the smallest system capable of not only rebuilding itself under itself, but building Linux From Scratch under the result (and thus natively bootstrapping up to an arbitrary set of packages).

I'm gradually replacing busybox with toybox, and I'm migrating from uClibc to musl. I vaguely plan to read the various klibc arch support bits to add new architectures to musl, but my day job doesn't have anything to do with my hobby programming so there's a chronic shortage of time, and toybox 1.0 is my priority right now for reasons I blatered at length about at ELC a month or so back (http://youtu.be/SGmtP5Lg_t0).

In theory swapping in a bsd kernel and libc, and beating the toolchain into accepting it, might not be too hard. But what I'm more likely to do is try to add sparc64 support to musl and convince the toolchain it's just going to have to cope with the idea of a 64 bit sparc userspace.

Rob