qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for 2013-04-23

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for 2013-04-23
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:37:00 -0600

On 04/23/2013 10:06 AM, Eric Blake wrote:

>>   we can change "drive_mirror" to use a new command to see if there
>>   are the new features.
>
> drive-mirror changed in 1.4 to add optional buf-size parameter; right
> now, libvirt is forced to limit itself to 1.3 interface (no buf-size or
> granularity) because there is no introspection and no query-* command
> that witnesses that the feature is present.  Idea was that we need to
> add a new query-drive-mirror-capabilities (name subject to bikeshedding)
> command into 1.5 that would let libvirt know that buf-size/granularity
> is usable (done right, it would also prevent the situation of buf-size
> being a write-only interface where it is set when starting the mirror
> but can not be queried later to see what size is in use).
>
> Unclear whether anyone was signing up to tackle the addition of a query
> command counterpart for drive-mirror in time for 1.5.

Further discussion on this topic:

Luiz proposed such a command:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-04/msg04937.html

in the meantime, Paolo and I discussed on IRC, and realized that:

1. Current libvirt does not expose buf-size or granularity to the end
user.  Until a future libvirt release actually wants to use these
options, we are in no rush to get it into qemu 1.5; it's okay to leave
things in the same state they were in for 1.4, and have qemu 1.6 be the
first release that coordinates with a new libvirt release actually
wanting to use the options.

2. At least with drive-mirror, the "try-and-fail" approach generates a
reasonable-enough error message.  Having a capability query may allow
libvirt to save time and/or give a better quality error message, but
this is one case where not knowing whether the parameter exists is not a
fatal flaw to the algorithm, since libvirt can still gracefully recover
from attempting to use the parameter (only when the user requested a
non-default value).  Distros that want to prove their value-added
quality-of-implementation can easily backport whatever solution goes
into qemu 1.6 for nicer detection into the distro stable build, even if
the distro is based on 1.5; libvirt will use the nicer detection when
available but should have no problems using the try-and-fail approach
otherwise.

So at this point, I'm comfortable with not trying to add anything into
1.5 dealing with drive-mirror; it feels like too much of a new feature
past soft freeze with no known current client, where we would be better
off waiting to 1.6 to get the interface right.