qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU aarch64 TCG target - testing question about x86-64

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU aarch64 TCG target - testing question about x86-64
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:56:03 +0200

On 14.03.2013 17:16, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 March 2013 15:57, Claudio Fontana <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I am currently working on an aarch64 tcg target implementation,
>> based on the available gdb patches contributed by ARM and the results
>> of the linaro toolchain.
>
> Doing a target implementation based on the gdb/binutils
> patches and not the actual documentation is going to be
> enormously painful to review (to the point that I will almost
> certainly just say "sorry, no"), because it will basically
> be "you have the semantics of this wrong", "you have the
> decoding wrong" all the way through for a whole pile of
> corner cases. You need to be working from the actual ARM
> documentation (which I regret is currently only available
> under NDA).
>
> See also the patchset that Alex Graf posted recently (which
> is a bunch of framework code but not the actual decoder).
>
> -- PMM

Well, we happen to have just completed a first working version of TCG support
for aarch64 here,
and it has been tested successfully running on Foundation v8, running the
system emulation for various targets
(at the moment armv5/linux, armv7/linux, x86 FreeDOS, X86 Linux).

I understand that you have reservations on upstreaming this work for the
reasons you explain above,
so for now it will be available to Huawei only. If anybody is interested, I
will be happy to send the patches.

Now I have a question regarding the test images, I have seen various QEMU
images at
wiki.qemu.org/Testing

I have tested with some of those, but I don't see an x86-64 test case;
is there a reference test kernel/image for x86-64?

Thanks,

Claudio Fontana
Server OS Architect
Huawei Technologies Duesseldorf GmbH