qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU aarch64 TCG target - testing question about x86-64

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU aarch64 TCG target - testing question about x86-64
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:42:46 +0100

On 6 May 2013 13:56, Claudio Fontana <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 14.03.2013 17:16, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 14 March 2013 15:57, Claudio Fontana <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I am currently working on an aarch64 tcg target implementation,
>>> based on the available gdb patches contributed by ARM and the results
>>> of the linaro toolchain.
>>
>> Doing a target implementation based on the gdb/binutils
>> patches and not the actual documentation is going to be
>> enormously painful to review

> Well, we happen to have just completed a first working version
> of TCG support for aarch64 here, and it has been tested successfully
> running on Foundation v8, running the system emulation for various targets
> (at the moment armv5/linux, armv7/linux, x86 FreeDOS, X86 Linux).

Auugh. I've just realised I totally misread your initial email as
being a proposal for a QEMU target (ie target-*, to implement
guest AArch64 support), because up til now nobody at all has expressed
any interest in supporting QEMU on AArch64 hosts. My reasons for
preferring to use the official documentation for the guest support
are rather less applicable to adding host support.

> I understand that you have reservations on upstreaming this work
> for the reasons you explain above, so for now it will be available
> to Huawei only.

Since you've written it (and now I've realised my confusion!)
you may as well send the patches to qemu-devel, I think.

thanks
-- PMM