qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 'qemu-nbd' explicit flush

From: Mark Trumpold
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 'qemu-nbd' explicit flush
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 09:42:08 -0800

On 5/24/13 1:05 AM, "Stefan Hajnoczi" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 09:58:31PM +0000, Mark Trumpold wrote:
>> I have a working configuration using the signal approach suggested by
>>Stefan.
>>
>> 'qemu-nbd.c' is patched as follows:
>>
>>     do {
>>         main_loop_wait(false);
>> +       if (sighup_reported) {
>> +           sighup_reported = false;
>> +           bdrv_drain_all();
>> +           bdrv_flush_all();
>>         }
>>     } while (!sigterm_reported && (persistent || !nbd_started || nb_fds
>>> 0));
>>
>> The driving script was patched as follows:
>>
>>      mount -o remount,ro /dev/nbd0
>>      blockdev --flushbufs /dev/nbd0
>> +    kill -HUP <qemu-nbd process id>
>>
>> I needed to retain 'blockdev --flushbufs' for things to work.  Seems
>>the 'bdrv_flush_all' is flushing what is being missed by the blockdev
>>flush.  I did not go back an retest with 'fsync' or other approaches I
>>had tried before.
>
>Okay, that makes sense:
>
>'blockdev --flushbufs' is writing dirty pages to the NBD device.
>
>bdrv_drain_all() + bdrv_flush_all() ensures that image file writes reach
>the physical disk.
>
>One thing to be careful of is whether these operations are asynchronous.
>The signal is asynchronous, you have no way of knowing when qemu-nbd is
>finished flushing to the physical disk.

Right, of course.  I missed the obvious.

>I didn't check blockdev(8) but it could be the same there.
>
>So watch out, otherwise your script is timing-dependent and may not
>actually have finished flushing when you take the snapshot.
>
>Stefan

The race condition would not be acceptable.  You had mentioned another
approach using the socket interface:

>2. Instantiate a block/nbd.c client that connects to the running
>   qemu-nbd server (make sure format=raw).  Then call bdrv_flush() on
>   the NBD client.  You must use the qemu-nbd --shared=2 option.

In my case I only have a 'qemu-nbd' process per loop device.  Would the
'qemu-nbd' process act as the socket server, and I would then write a
simple socket client to instruct him to do the flush?  And, would the
client block until the flush is complete?

Thank you,
Mark T.