qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] KVM call agenda for 2013-05-28
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 15:03:18 +0200

On 05/31/13 10:13, Peter Stuge wrote:

> ACPI bytes are obviously a function of QEMU configuration.

Precisely!

When we evaluate that (mathematical-sense) function in boot firmware, we
need to retrieve the function's arguments. Those arguments are bits of
QEMU configuration, as you say, and fw_cfg is extremely inconvenient for
fetching them. Whenever the domain or arity of said "mathematical"
function changes (we need more arguments, or different kinds of
arguments), we have to extend fw_cfg with yet another ad-hoc key or file
entry.

The set of arguments going into ACPI tables *is* ad-hoc and arbitrary,
there's nothing to do about it. But at least we shouldn't impede the
retrieval of said arguments with artificial obstacles, such as
half-assedly serializing them over fw_cfg (and not documenting them,
naturally). In qemu the entire pool of arguments, current and future,
would be at just an arm's length, in immediately consumable form.

I've said the same about the acpi_build_madt() prototype that was
proposed for qemu:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/207171/focus=208719>.

Thanks,
Laszlo