qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kFreeBSD and USB support

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kFreeBSD and USB support
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 14:47:04 +0200

  Hi,

> This effectively disables host usb support for
> kFreeBSD.  And since I guess the kernel headers
> are the same on regular FreeBSD, I think the same
> issue happens on regular FreeBSD too, that is,
> host usb does not work there as well.
>
> What is the status of this situation now?

I have no idea how well the host-bsd code actually works.  I've used an
OpenBSD (virtual machine) for build tests.  Last time I tried it did not
build on FreeBSD.  No idea where NetBSD (or any other variant) stands.

My long-term plan for usb-host support is to build on libusbx
exclusively (merged in the 1.5 devel cycle), thereby offloading all
portability issues to libusbx.  Right now we are in a transition period,
the old code is still around so you can flip back and forward between
libusbx implementation and the os-specific bits for linux/bsd, mainly
because a pretty recent linusbx version is required and also to ease
regression testing.  At some point in the future I want get rid of the
old code though.

FreeBSD reportly has its own libusb implementation, with a library
interface compatible to libusbx.  That should work with kFreeBSD too.  I
don't know what the other BSD variants are doing, but due to libusbx
being used by alot of userspace usb apps/drivers I'd expect it is
present in some form usable for qemu's host-libusb code ...

cheers,
  Gerd