qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Memory subsystem

From: Wenchao Xia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Memory subsystem
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:04:28 +0800

于 2013-6-21 9:51, Basim Baig 写道:
Hello,

I am currently working on a project where I aim to log every memory access
made by a virtual machine running inside of QEMU (for analyzing kernel
behavior). My initial approach is to possibly hook into the QEMU mmu
implementation and find the place where the guest->host page translation or
lookup is done. In this way I can know any pages accessed by the guest
(This is only the first level. Eventually I would want to get logging at
pointer granularity). I have been reading through the source code and
online documentations for a week now to get a general sense of the qemu
internals and codebase.

I just wanted some advice on what direction I should head to (or who I can
talk to) If I really want to get into depth of how I can make significant
changes to qemu memory management and mmu subsystem.

Thanks,
Mirza Basim Baig
Stony Brook University

  I think you can archieve your goal relative easily in soft-mmu mode,
but in KVM case, you will need to dig a bit in kvm.ko in kernel source
code.

--
Best Regards

Wenchao Xia