qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARRAYS :QMP Declaration

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARRAYS :QMP Declaration
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:02:16 -0500

Quoting Saptarshi Sen (2013-07-15 20:27:27)
> Hi,
>
>       Is it possible to use fixed array data structures for use through the
>    qmp-interface.
>
>       My aim is to monitor IDE level activity in terms of sectors being
>    accessed. So
>       I plan to have a fixed size buffer. But I find no way of doing so when
>    I use the
>       qapi-schema.json.
>       I think the qmp -interface uses linked lists as a replacement for array
>    type structures.
>
>       Can anybody clarify my doubt and whether is it possible to use arrays
>    as in my case.

Not currently, though there is a plan to support it, likely in 1.7.

You can have your implementation map the buffer to a linked list type before
sending a response though. It's not particularly efficient... but then again
how big is this buffer gonna be? capacity/sector_size? If so I don't think
that's realistic over QMP. A list of active sector numbers might actually
work better. That could still be done more efficiently using arrays if we
supported them currently, but in practice I don't think the extra overhead
would be that much worse (though I'm assuming here that the number of sectors
being concurrently accessed would be relatively small)