qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus VGA slow screen update, show blank screen last 1

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus VGA slow screen update, show blank screen last 13s or so for windows XP guest
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:09:04 -0500

Windows XP uses VGA planar mode during boot up.   This means that to
set a pixel requires 3 MMIO operations (one for the red pixel, one for
the green pixel, one for the blue pixel).  KVM has an optimization
called MMIO coalescing which avoids a heavy weight exit for planar
mode exits.  I guess Xen doesn't have an optimization like this.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori