qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest

From: Erik Rull
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:22:46 +0200

Benoît Canet wrote:
thanks for your help. I cloned the git and compiled it - but I'm not
completely sure how to enable the throttling finally - there were
several mails regarding averages and max values... And the "unit" of
the values would be interesting.

Hi Erik,

The main settings are bps, bps_rd and bps_wr for total, read and write bandwith
throttling (unit is bytes) and iops, iops_rd, iops_wr for IO per second
throttling (unit is IO operation).

You should specify your settings on the -drive command line like in:
-drive file=foo.raw,if=virtio,cache=none,bps=1048576 for a 1 MB total bandwith.

In addition to that there is another set of parameters to configure the burst
ability of the throttling.
These setting are: bps_max, bps_rd_max, bps_wr_max, iops_mx, iops_rd_max, and
iops_wr_max.

Some bursting is enabled by default.

 From what Paolo said you should set bps_max = 1 to specify that the default
bursting is not set.

So:
-drive file=foo.raw,if=virtio,cache=none,bps=1048576,bps_max=1 for a 1 MB total
bandwith with almost no burst.

Best regards

Benoît

ps: take care of updating your repository and recompiling it since I made some
changes for you to use. (use git fetch origin)

Great thanks! I cloned half an hour before your email, and updated right now, but there was only an "already up to date"... (git fetch origin didn't say anything git pull says Already up-to-date.)

I will test it tomorrow and let you know my results.

Best regards,

Erik