qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging the quorum block driver

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging the quorum block driver
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:51:39 -0600

On 09/19/2013 07:21 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:

> I was thinking more along the lines of:
>
>     -drive if=none,file.driver=quorum,format=raw,\
>            file.children[0].file.filename=/nfs1/test.qcow2, \

Note that this requires shell quoting to protect you from globbing
changing the argv handed to qemu based on an (unusual) file name in the
current directory.  Not necessarily the end of the world (someone like
libvirt that uses exec rather than a shell command line isn't bothered
by it, and the command line is so long that most users will not be
typing it directly), but worth thinking about whether we can come up
with an alternate syntax that doesn't require shell quoting.  (As is,
your use of \-newline and whitespace is not quite right for how the
actual command line would appear; but it does make discussion easier in
the meantime)

> The exact syntax doesn't matter all that much as long as it can be
> mapped to QAPI, but as you can see this allows specifying detailed
> options even for the children. I think this is a requirement.

Indeed, those aspects (mappability to QAPI, and fine-tuning of each
child) are essential.