qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Prohibit Windows from running in QEMU

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Prohibit Windows from running in QEMU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:55:54 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
I don't know what I'm talking about. But:

Neither do I but...

- Windows' ACPI parser is super cranky. You could pass in a custom (but
standardized) ACPI table on the command line (-acpitable) that only
triggers some warnings in Linux's port of ACPICA, but crashes Windows
(BSOD). Like, write & compile a simple table to AML, then mess it up
(eg. Package encoding or some such) with a hex editor. This would take
some experimentation as well, but searching existing bug reports could help.

This seems evil and fragile (although this can be done without patches with a command line option only). But instead why not remove/disable some BIOS functions that Linux doesn't need but Windows relies on? This seems to be less fragile (although requiring a patch) if it's possible at all.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan