qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/6] target-arm queue

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/6] target-arm queue
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:45:54 +0100

Am 31.10.2013 15:39, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm? I don't recall this part of the discussion. If you want the
>>> patches to have an Acked-by from you you need to send mail
>>> to the list with an Acked-by line.
>>
>> No, I added a Signed-off-by. It was clearly stated that a Reviewed-by
>> needs to be explicitly sent as reply but that "looks okay" should in
>> exactly such a case where sender=submaintainer should be recorded as
>> Acked-by, and Sob is certainly stronger than Acked-by. Cf. minutes.
>
> Nope.  If you want there to be an Acked-by, say "Acked-by:".  Don't
> make people infer your Acked-bys.

Yes, that's in the minutes. And yes, that's what I got as answer there.
Please reply to the minutes if you think otherwise.

I brought up exactly this situation where I am contributor to CPU and
submaintainer of CPU and often not getting Reviewed-bys but if at all,
such as from Paolo recently, some verbal "looks OK" for a series. I was
told that that should be turned into an Acked-by on the patches to
satisfy your criteria that contributors may not just send patches as
pull without Reviewed-by.

> And adding tags is a nice-to-have.  There is no "rule" stating that
> you must include everyone that appears on the mailing list.  But I
> expect that maintainers try to

Again, at QEMU Summit you pushed for making Reviewed-by a must-have and
we discussed whether a submaintainer must add a Reviewed-by then and
what to do if author==submaintainer. If you dropped that thought, then
fine with me.

Regards,
Andreas