qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -vga std vs. -device VGA

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -vga std vs. -device VGA
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:49:47 +0000

On 14 November 2013 20:28, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 08:04 -0500, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> 2) -nodefaults
>>
>> This mode is meant to pass full control to a management stack which
>> wants to implement its own cleverness. The less QEMU tries to be
>> smart, the more consistent we are in our interface. This mode really
>> is meant as to tell QEMU to allow you to shoot yourself in the foot.

> Note that this is inconsistent with x86 which always create a number
> of devices with -nodefaults ... such as a keyboard controller.

If you can't physically have an x86 PC without a keyboard
controller I'm not sure it makes any sense for QEMU's PC
model to be instantiated without one. This makes sense at
the moment since -device really only works for pluggable
buses anyway, so there's no way for a management stack
to provide anything that's really an integrated part of the
main system if we don't always create it.

I know people have tossed around the idea of being able
to create an entire board model from configfile and command
line; however we don't have that today...

-- PMM