qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Project idea: make QEMU more flexible

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Project idea: make QEMU more flexible
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 19:12:07 +0100

Am 06.01.2014 16:12, schrieb Wei Liu:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 01:30:20PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 6 January 2014 12:54, Wei Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> In fact I've already hacked a prototype during Christmas. What's I've
>>> done so far:
>>>
>>> 1. create target-null which only has some stubs to CPU emulation
>>>    framework.
>>>
>>> 2. add a few lines to configure / Makefiles*, create
>>>    default-configs/null-softmmu
>>
>> I think it would be better to add support to allow you to
>> configure with --disable-tcg. This would match the existing
>> --disable/--enable switches for KVM and Xen, and then you
>> could configure --disable-kvm --disable-tcg --enable-xen
>> and get a qemu-system-i386 or qemu-system-arm with only
>> the Xen support and none of the TCG emulation code.
>>

> In this case the architecture-specific code in target-* is still
> included which might not help reduce the size much.

Define target-specific code in target-*? Most of that is TCG-specific
and wouldn't be compiled in in that case. The KVM-specific bits don't
get compiled in with --disable-kvm today already save for a few stubs.

Adding yet another separate binary with no added functional value
doesn't strike me as the most helpful idea for the community, compared
to configure-optimizing the binaries built today.

Who would use the stripped-down binaries anyway? Just Citrix? Because
SUSE is headed for sharing QEMU packages between Xen and KVM, so we
couldn't enable such Xen-only-optimized binaries.

Regards,
Andreas