qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration between amd fam15h-fam10h

From: Markus Kovero
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration between amd fam15h-fam10h
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 16:20:19 +0200

Hi,

I am getting a frozen guest when migrating from an Opteron 6274 host (amd
fam15h) to
an Opteron 6174 host (amd fam10h). The live migration completes succesfully, but the guest is frozen: vcn screen is still there, but no input is possible and no kernel output is seen. Trying "c" on the qemu-monitor does not help. I am using "-cpu Opteron_G3" which I assumed would be ok for both host cpus.

In the opposite direction (migrating from an amd fam10h host to an amdfam15h host) the guest continues to run on the destination. However, on most of these successfull live migrations, I notice a "clocksource unstable" message on the
guest kernel (using the default kvm-clock clocksource) e.g.
Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -1500533439 ns)
Same situation (guest runs on destination with clocksource unstable message) happens when migrating between fam15h hosts (I have not tried between fam10h
hosts)

Changing the clocksource (tsc, acpi_pm, hpet) does not solve the issue.
Also tried with "-cpu kvm64" with same result.

qemu-kvm version: 0.15.1, 1.0 or qemu-kvm/master
Host kernel: 3.0.15 (on both hosts)
Guest kernel: 3.0.6 or 3.2

this is the qemu-kvm command line used on the source host:

"
kvm -enable-kvm -m 1024 -smp 1 -cpu Opteron_G3,check -drive \

file=/opt/test.img,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk1,format=raw,cache=writethrough,boot=on
-device

virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5,drive=drive-virtio-disk1,id=virtio-disk1
-monitor stdio -vnc 0.0.0.0:6 -vga std -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 -usb -device usb-tablet,id=input0
"

The destination host has the same command line with an added "-incoming tcp:4444". I have mainly tested this with non-shared storage (but also shared
storage has the same result). Migration is triggered with "migrate -b
tcp:destip:4444"

Do the TSC microarchitecture changes in amdfam15h (see AMD SW optimiization guide for fam15h, 47414 Rev 3.02 Appendix E) affect pvclock stability on
migration in same family or across families?

cpuid information follows in case it's helpful.
..snip..

Hi, I can confirm this problem still exists in live migrations between Opteron 6128HE and Opteron 6274. Live migration from 6100-series to 6200-series work, but never from 6200 to 6100.
Issue is reproducible and symptoms are identical with previous poster.
I have tested with 3.10.5 host-kernel and 1.7 qemu, also with 3.1.4 and >1.0 qemu, guest kernel seems to be irrelevant at this point (as it crashes any OS).

I would say this needs attention, and I'm willing to help to get this sorted out.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yours
Markus Kovero
+358 40 577 1129