qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] osx bootloader

From: Gabriel L. Somlo
Subject: [Qemu-devel] osx bootloader
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:40:24 -0500

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:08:37AM +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:
> > Once I finish trying all versions of OSX against all combinations
> > of piix vs. q35 and up vs. smp, I'll give the Chameleon source a
> > closer look: ultimately, it would be nice if we had something
> > Chameleon-like that could be built on Linux (get OSX+Xcode out of
> > the equation). Maybe getting the interesting bits submitted as patches
> > against SeaBIOS and QEMU, wherever appropriate.
>
> I disagree. Eventually we want to run TianoCore and just use Apple's EFI
> bootloader. With that we should be a lot more future proof.

Long term, I'm with you.

For now though, I'd like to know how Chameleon does what it
does on the inside. I'd also like to be able to build a minimal
subset needed to get QEMU to load XNU on Linux, and eliminate
the requirement to "do stuff on OS X with Xcode".

BTW, when you say "use Apple's EFI bootloader" what do you mean ?

Is that some piece of software we'd have to download and build,
like Chameleon? Or would TianoCore in theory be capable of doing
what the Apple EFI Bios does and load XNU from the hard drive
image directly, and there's some default bootloader placed there
by the OS X installer, kinda like grub in the Linux world ?

If the latter, I think understanding how Chameleon does that part
would come in handy (for me at least, since I don't have a good
mental map on how things work before the XNU kernel starts running).

Thanks,
--Gabriel