qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] PowerPC Decimal Floating Point

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] PowerPC Decimal Floating Point
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:22:48 -0800

On 02/11/2014 11:38 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> > My proposal is to incorporate the libdecnumber component of libdfp
>> > (http://www.eglibc.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/libdfp/trunk/) in a manner
>> > analogous to how
>> > softfloat is used for binary floating point.  So, for example, the helper
>> > for the dadd
>> > instruction would look something like the following:
>> >
>> >   - map FPSCR state to a decContext.
>> >   - convert the contents of the source FPRs to decNumbers
>> > (decimal64ToNumber).
>> >   - call decNumberAdd
>> >   - convert the resultant decNumber to DPD (decimal64FromNumber)
>> >   - update FPSCR per the decContext.status and result.
>> >
>> > Comments?
> I think that approach makes a lot of sense, but let's ask Richard and Peter
> as well.

Reasonable, as far as the implementation details go.

I am a teeny bit concerned which version of libdecnumber is considered most
"upstream".  Ordinarily I'd point to the copy in gcc, but that is of course
GPLv3 + GCC runtime exception.  I see the version from eglibc you quote above
is LGPLv2.1.  I also see that the last change is 18 months old.  On the other
hand, there is only one non-autoconf change in the gcc sources in the same
period.

The original import is from IBM sources.  Is there somewhere "upstream" at IBM
that we ought to be importing from instead?

r~