qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/9] generate dynamic _CRS for motherboard resourc

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/9] generate dynamic _CRS for motherboard resources
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:02:18 +0200

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:33:23AM +0100, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 17:53:45 +0200
> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 01:51:27PM +0100, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> > > Since introduction of PCIHP, it became problematic to
> > > punch hole in PCI0._CRS statically since PCI hotplug
> > > region size became runtime changeable.
> >
> > What makes it runtime changeable?
> piix machine "acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=on" effectively
> changes size of pcihp MMIO region

It adds 4 bytes. Let's just reserve a reasonably sized region,
like 512 bytes.

> > > So replace static hole punching with dynamically consumed
> > > resources in a child device on PCI0 bus. i.e generate
> > > PNP0C02 device as a child of PCI0 bus at runtime and
> > > consume GPE0, PCI/CPU hotplug IO resources in it instead
> > > of punching holes in static PCI0._CRS.
> >
> > It seems that we are being too exact with
> > IO resources here.
> > Can't we roughly reserve 0xae00 to 0xafff
> > and be done with it?
> that would be easiest way for this specific case if we could agree
> for ranges on PIIX/Q35 machines.
>
> But I also use it as excuse to introduce ASL like macros so that
> building dynamic SSDT would be easier i.e. replace template patching
> with single place where dynamic device is defined and its values
> are set in simple and straightforward manner.

We don't need excuses really :)
But the approach itself needs some work IMHO, in particular
ASL like syntax by using macros and varargs is not something to strive
for IMHO :)

Why don't we just pass GArrays around?

crs = build_alloc_crs();
build_append_resource(crs, ....)

Or if you really want this, using array of GArray:

build_append_crs(ssdt,
                {
                        build_alloc_resource(...),
                        build_alloc_resource(...),