qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Contribution - L2TPv3 transport

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Contribution - L2TPv3 transport
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 11:38:05 +0000

On 5 March 2014 08:49, Anton Ivanov (antivano) <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 04/03/14 15:53, Eric Blake wrote:
>> Missing a commit message and a Signed-off-by line, so it can't be
>> applied as-is.  Also, we prefer inline patches (as sent by 'git
>> send-email') over attached patches; I suggest using 'git send-email' to
>> first send the patches to yourself to make sure your settings are correct.

> I had a look at that - we are happy to use it once and after the
> contribution is accepted.
>
> Once that happens we will re-import the final accepted version on a new
> branch and orphan our old branch(es). From there onwards we can submit
> inline patches generated using git-send-email.
>
> Prior to that it is inappropriate - this tool discloses revision history
> which is prior to the version which has been approved for external
> release. There is no way I can get an approval for that.

No, you're mistaken here. git send-email simply produces a
correctly formatted patch for whichever git commits you want to
send. So you just make sure the git tree you're sending from has
a single commit (or a set of commits if you want to split it into
multiple patches that build up to the feature you want), and then
run git send-email on that. We absolutely do not want the revision
history of your internal work on this code -- we want to see the
cleaned up final patches. You just need to construct within git
a set of commits which correspond to what you want to send out.

I see you've just sent another version which is still not in the correct
format, which still doesn't have a signed-off-by line and which still
doesn't have a commit message. Please don't do that, it is a waste
of everybody's time.

thanks
-- PMM