qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] AmigaOS 4.x on QEMU

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] AmigaOS 4.x on QEMU
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:43:02 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014, xalaris wrote:
Running MorphOS has been probably already achieved long ago. Not sure if it's
just rumors, but it has been said that someone from the OS team has managed
to do that. http://bigfoot.morphos-team.net/test/qemu.png

But it seems they never relased that and have no plans to do so (I understand they have no obligation to share their modifications as long as they don't distribute it).

I almost managed to get it to boot in QEMU with some changes in OpenBIOS but it seems there are still more bugs to hunt down and then not everything needed is in QEMU yet (most importantly supported graphics card emulation) so I don't know how far I can get with it but that's what I'd like to find out. Even if MorphOS may not be usable at the end it should improve OpenBIOS and QEMU's PPC Mac emulation a little.

As about cpu variety, Morph has been covered by most of the G4 PowerMacs,
and as far as i know it has lately been tested with G5. On the other hand,
AmigaOS 4 has been partially running on a G4 mini for quite some time, under
the code name Moana. This project has taken involved parties to court, and
has seized.

While technically may be possible, looks like it is not legally possible to run AmigaOS on anything else than licensed hardware. (Similar to OS X.) I think this is unfortunate as it confines it to a very small niche. Maybe they could get a bigger market if potential buyers could try it first without much commitment but it's their decision.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan