qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing dependency checks in qemu build

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing dependency checks in qemu build
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 08:23:43 +0100

Am 22.03.2014 01:10, schrieb Matthew Fernandez:
> Hi all,
>
> This only came to my attention when building qemu on a colleague's
> machine recently, but there are some dependencies for the build that are
> not detected during the standard `configure` process. In particular,
> missing autoconf was not detected until running `make` itself. Also
> missing libtool produced a fairly obtuse error. It was reasonably
> apparent to me what went wrong, but thoroughly confusing to my colleague.
>
> Should the configure process be made more bulletproof? Perhaps assuming
> the existence of these things seems fine to others. I don't know what
> the status quo is here. By the way, this is with reference to the qemu
> 1.7.0 release. I'm not on the list currently, so please CC me when
> replying.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Hi Matt,

QEMU's configure tries to check at least the most important
prerequisites for the build process. autoconf is not used directly by
QEMU. There is a check for libtool in configure.

Did the errors occur in one of the submodules (pixman or dtc)? Those
submodules use autoconf (maybe also libtool). They are not needed if you
install the packages of your Linux distribution. Can you give more
details on the build environment?

Regards
Stefan