qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu and access to guest memory

From: sdrb
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and access to guest memory
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 15:01:20 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to write my own driver for eepro100 (e100) NIC for Linux 2.6.3x running on Qemu 1.7.90.

Unfortunately I've got problems with accessing memory.

In my e100 driver I set some memory area to configure e100 Control Block. I set appropriate offset address to point to this control block (using "Load CU Base command" and "CU Start"), but seems like qemu e100 driver emulator can't see this control block.
Qemu e100 emulator sees just only 0...0 instead of my control block data.

I dig a little the qemu sources and seems like pci_dma_read() from read_cb() returns only 0 instead of my data.

It causes the e100 emulator to run indefinitely action_command() and hung up the whole qemu.

I'd like to ask - how can I debug qemu and get access to guest OS memory and verify that my data really there are under desired address?

Under Linux I allocate memory with kmalloc() and obtain physical address with virt_to_phys() function. GDB connected to qemu tells, that there are my data under given address - so why qemu don't see them?