qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] machines and versions - why so many?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] machines and versions - why so many?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:15:07 +0200

Il 23/06/2014 23:35, Alexey Kardashevskiy ha scritto:
nec-usb-xhci is off for PC_COMPAT_1_3 because of what? PIIX emulation was
broken in 1.3? Or nec-usb-xhci?

nec-usb-xhci is not "off".

            .driver   = "nec-usb-xhci",\
            .property = "msi",\
            .value    = "off",\

What's off is MSI (and MSI-X), because it wasn't implemented.

If it is the latter, why is the tweak limited by PC?

Because at the time nobody cared about migration compatibility (even now only pSeries is starting to care).

Looks like I must copy PC_COMPAT_X_X as PSERIES_COMPAT_X_X starting 1.6 (or
1.7 - whichever starts supporting migration well enough on pseries) because
pretty much of what they do is tweaking PCI devices and we can have all of
these devices on pseries.

It's not necessary to do this retroactively, unless you're planning to test forward migration from 1.6 to 2.1. Just start with 2.2 (and add pseries-2.1 now as an alias).

Note that firmware interfaces and CPU features should also be versioned if they're guest visible. That's the point of functions like pc_compat_1_6.

And then keep an eye on what is happening in PC
world to copy same tweaks to pseries as they come. Is that correct?

Yes. We should come up sooner or later with a way to share the tweaks though.

Others (ARM, s390) do not do that because they do not support PCI? Or
migration? Or some other reason?

This is not limited to PCI. Others do not support migration across different QEMU versions.

Paolo