qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding memory region without specifying address

From: Peter Crosthwaite
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding memory region without specifying address
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 11:26:26 +1000

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Stalley, Sean <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I am working on building a hardware model for QEMU. This model needs a
> couple memory regions for MMIO.
>
> The thing is, I don’t particularly care what the physical address of the
> memory region is (so long as it doesn’t overlap with any other memory
> region).

Curious, what's your mechanism for giving the auto allocated address
to the guest?

> I was wondering if QEMU is able to ‘allocate’ a memory region for hardware
> (IE: I call into something saying I need a memory region X bytes long, and
> QEMU returns with a pointer to a memory region X bytes long).

Do you have full control over the memory region you are adding these
sub-regions too and can you implement a "for-everything" allocator on
the machine level?

> Can QEMU do this? was looking at the various flavors of
> memory_region_add_subregion(), but they all seem to require a hardware
> offset…

Alex's addressless -device work may be related but it's more about
command line usability. Autoallocation of MMIO addresses is a feature
there however.

Regards,
Peter