qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] COLO HA Project proposal

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] COLO HA Project proposal
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 13:12:48 +0100

* Hongyang Yang (address@hidden) wrote:

Hi Yang,

> Background:
>   COLO HA project is a high availability solution. Both primary
> VM (PVM) and secondary VM (SVM) run in parallel. They receive the
> same request from client, and generate response in parallel too.
> If the response packets from PVM and SVM are identical, they are
> released immediately. Otherwise, a VM checkpoint (on demand) is
> conducted. The idea is presented in Xen summit 2012, and 2013,
> and academia paper in SOCC 2013. It's also presented in KVM forum
> 2013:
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/wiki/images/1/1d/Kvm-forum-2013-COLO.pdf
> Please refer to above document for detailed information.

Yes, I remember that talk - very interesting.

I didn't quite understand a couple of things though, perhaps you
can explain:
  1) If we ignore the TCP sequence number problem, in an SMP machine
don't we get other randomnesses - e.g. which core completes something
first, or who wins a lock contention, so the output stream might not
be identical - so do those normal bits of randomness cause the machines
to flag as out-of-sync?

  2) If the PVM has decided that the SVM is out of sync (due to 1) and
the PVM fails at about the same point - can we switch over to the SVM?

I'm worried that due to (1) there are periods where the system
is out-of-sync and a failure of the PVM is not protected.  Does that happen?
If so how often?

> The attached was the architecture of kvm-COLO we proposed.
>   - COLO Manager: Requires modifications of qemu
>     - COLO Controller
>         COLO Controller includes modifications of save/restore
>       flow just like MC(macrocheckpoint), a memory cache on
>       secondary VM which cache the dirty pages of primary VM
>       and a failover module which provides APIs to communicate
>       with external heartbead module.
>     - COLO Disk Manager
>         When pvm writes data into image, the colo disk manger
>       captures this data and send it to the colo disk manger
>       which makes sure the context of svm's image is consentient
>       with the context of pvm's image.

I wonder if there is anyway to coordinate this between COLO, Michael
Hines microcheckpointing and the two separate reverse-execution
projects that also need to do some similar things.
Are there any standard APIs for the heartbeet thing we can already
tie into?

>   - COLO Agent("Proxy module" in the arch picture)
>       We need an agent to compare the packets returned by
>     Primary VM and Secondary VM, and decide whether to start a
>     checkpoint according to some rules. It is a linux kernel
>     module for host.

Why is that a kernel module, and how does it communicate the state
to the QEMU instance?

>   - Other minor modifications
>       We may need other modifications for better performance.

Dave
P.S. I'm starting to look at fault-tolerance stuff, but haven't
got very far yet, so starting to try and understand the details
of COLO, microcheckpointing, etc