qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MSI-X interrupt emulation

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MSI-X interrupt emulation
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:14:20 +0200

On 2014-08-01 08:22, Danzer, Uwe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm implementing an emulated PCIe Memory class device, but can't get MSI-X
> interrupt emulation working.
>
> So far, the card appears in the guest system and the driver for the card
> recognises it and the emulation of 1MB of accessible r/w registers works as
> desired.
>
> As the real card is connected to the outside world, it can signal events from
> there to the software via 5 MSI-X interrupts. Though I do not manage do get
> MSI-X emulation working in my implementation.
>
> The guest OS is QNX and works just fine on the real hardware. Running QNX as
> guest inside QEMU, the command pci -vvv (QNX equivalent of lspci on Linux)
> shows my card and that it says it's able to do the desired 5 MSI-X
> interrupts, but the QNX driver doesn't activate MSI-X for the card.

I suppose the config space layouts are identical between emulated and
real card? Just in case the QNX driver has hard-coded capability offsets
(it shouldn't, but who knows).

Do you have the source code of the driver?

> In my init function of the PCIe card, I try to make MSI-X available with this
> code:
>
>     ret = msix_init_exclusive_bar (dev, 5, 1);
>     if (ret) {
>         printf("msix_init() failed\n");
>     } else {
>         int i;
>
>         for (i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
>             msix_vector_use (dev, i);
>         }
>
>         msix = 1;
>     }
>
> Can someone tell me, what is wrong or missing in my code or does somebody
> have a minimal example for a (pseudo)device with MSI-X?

If the problem still persists and you can't share your code here, drop
me an email directly, and I can have a look or suggest further
instrumentations.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE