qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What tests should "make check-block" run?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What tests should "make check-block" run?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:12:37 +0100

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 02:27:00PM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Should "make check-block" run more tests?  Which ones?

Let's add image format specific test cases to "make check-block" (e.g.
VHDX and VMDK).  For these formats we would not run the standard tests,
only the format-specific test cases.

That way "make check-block" stays fast but gets a lot more coverage.

> Should we have a variant of "make check-block" for testing other
> (format, protocol) combinations?

I don't think variants are useful.  If you need control, use ./check.

> Should we have a variant of "make check-block" that tests everything
> that's testable without special setup?
>
> How can we make advanced iotest features more discoverable for
> developers not already intimately familiar with it?

The limiting factor is test execution speed.  If tests are very fast we
can run more of them without annoying the user.

If anyone wants to optimize test run times, that would be very welcome.

Here is a list of the longest test cases:
026 116s
041 56s
023 43s
015 29s
014 29s

There are some more test cases that take more than 10s which I have not
listed.  Ideally all test cases would take less than 5s.

Stefan