qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] issue: linking 64bit glib when building for cpu=i386

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] issue: linking 64bit glib when building for cpu=i386
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 08:50:01 +0100

On 22 August 2014 01:10, John Snow <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was running a series of tests on 32 and 64 bit hosts to test for
> endianness and variable width issues when I noticed that I couldn't properly
> perform a build of "make check" against a 32bit target from a 64bit host:
>
> ../../configure --cpu=i386 && make -j4 && make check

The 32-bit-on-64-bit x86 stuff is a weird special case and I'm
not terribly surprised it's broken. For pretty much every other
non-native build case, --cpu is only there to override configure's
guesses if it guesses wrong: you just tell configure the correct
compiler to use, and then it will automatically figure out it's i386
because of the compiler #defines. If you use --cross-prefix= this
will tell configure to use all of the correct compiler and the
correct pkgconfig, assuming your distro has set up the compiler
and the pkgconfig with the right prefixes. But i386-on-x86_64
seems to be odd in that rather than just having a correct
compiler for it there's the same compiler with a bunch of
flags, and a pkg-config in a non-standard place.

thanks
-- PMM