qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [question] e1000 interrupt storm happened becauseof its

From: Zhang Haoyu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [question] e1000 interrupt storm happened becauseof its corresponding ioapic->irr bit always set
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:17:27 +0800

>> Hi, all
>>
>> I use a qemu-1.4.1/qemu-2.0.0 to run win7 guest, and encounter e1000 NIC
>> interrupt storm,
>> because "if (!ent->fields.mask && (ioapic->irr & (1 << i)))" is always true
>> in __kvm_ioapic_update_eoi().
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>We meet this several times: search the autoneg patches for an example of
>workaround for this in qemu, and patch kvm: ioapic: conditionally delay
>irq delivery during eoi broadcast for an workaround in kvm (rejected).

Thanks, Jason,
I searched "e1000 autoneg" in gmane.comp.emulators.qemu, and found below
patches,
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/143001/focus=143007
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/284105/focus=284765
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/186159/focus=187351
which one tries to fix this problem, or all of them?

>That was probably caused by something wrong in e1000 emulation which
>causes interrupt to be injected into windows guest before its interrupt
>handler is registered. And Windows guest does not have a mechanism to
>detect and disable irq in such condition.

Sorry, I don't understand,
I think one interrupt should not been enabled before its handler is
successfully registered,
is it possible that e1000 emulation inject the interrupt before the interrupt
is succesfully enabled?

Thanks,
Zhang Haoyu