qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 2/2] arm: boot: Add EL jump-down code for Linux

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 2/2] arm: boot: Add EL jump-down code for Linux
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 00:12:22 +0100

On 2 September 2014 00:06, Peter Crosthwaite
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Surely there's already a reset order dependency, because
>> both the arm-boot reset hook and CPU reset proper want
>> to initialise the PC ?

> Yes. I had a PC specific solution to this though when it became a
> problem. I have another series that made the reset ordering a little
> less predictable (specifically implementation of CPU reset GPIOs)

Actually, I'm confused now where the reset ordering issue comes
in, because (ignoring realize, which will call reset) as far as I
could make out the only place that the ARM CPU reset gets
called is when the do_cpu_reset() hook in boot.c calls
cpu_reset(CPU(cpu)) explicitly. This is unfortunate because
it means if you didn't use -kernel then we won't reset the CPU
if you do a system reset after first bootup...but on the other
hand it means there's no reset order issue?

Thinking about reset gives me a headache, though.

thanks
-- PMM