qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] HelloWord kernel for qemu-system-aarch64

From: Semion Prihodko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] HelloWord kernel for qemu-system-aarch64
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 17:50:30 +0300

Let's discard semihosting. I have aarch64-linux-gnu-* toolchain and qemu-system-aarch64 emulator. How can I build a minimal kernel which outputs Hello World! via serial port and run it on the emulator?

Hi Semion,

On 09/04/2014 09:40 AM, Semion Prihodko wrote:
> Still don't know how to build/run a simple Hello World kernel on
> qemu-system-aarch64?
>
> Guys, this is a very basic thing, please provide concrete steps. Thanks.

Here you go. Start at the wget.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-07/msg03487.html

Angel semihosting isn't implemented upstream so a text hello world won't be
trivial, although given enough time it should be possible to implement Angel
semihosting for A64 in QEMU, implement DCC in QEMU and Newlib/libgloss or
implement PL011 UART or VirtIO-MMIO console in Newlib/libgloss.

Some of the bootloaders and firmwares out there (bootwrapper, ARM trusted
firmware, UEFI/Tianocore) may have examples of using the PL011 UART.

Christopher

hosted by the Linux Foundation.