qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] HelloWord kernel for qemu-system-aarch64

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] HelloWord kernel for qemu-system-aarch64
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 18:57:00 +0200

On 05.09.2014 16:50, Semion Prihodko wrote:
> Let's discard semihosting. I have aarch64-linux-gnu-* toolchain and
> qemu-system-aarch64 emulator. How can I build a minimal kernel which
> outputs Hello World! via serial port and run it on the emulator?

If you run qemu with the "virt" platform, you can write to the UART at 0x9000000
to get a character out, works very early.

You could check the AArch64 port of the OSv Operating System, has a simple boot
loader
you can look at (arch/aarch64/preboot.S and arch/aarch64/boot.S)
and the pl011 device you find in drivers/pl011.cc

https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/wiki/AArch64

Good luck,

Claudio