qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pending target-mips patches

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pending target-mips patches
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:33:14 +0200

Hi Leon,

Am 01.10.2014 um 17:35 schrieb Leon Alrae:
> I noticed that it's quite difficult to get target-mips changes
> reviewed/accepted. There is already a queue of relatively big features
> and bug fixes which are stuck for months. Does anyone have an idea how
> to improve this situation? Wouldn't it help to have a target-mips
> co-maintainer assisting Aurelien?

In February I talked to one of your directors and suggested whether
someone from Imagination could step up as co-maintainer to tackle this.
I admit, we never followed up on that conversation so far...

So, from my view what someone should do by now is this:

* Set up one or more public Git branches for officially queuing
target-mips/ and hw/mips/ patches. That helps track pending patches and
facilitates testing. I assume you have some shared internal tree anyway,
just split between what that maintainer considers good and what is still
work-in-progress.

* From time to time, send a PULL request that either Aurélien or Peter
can merge. Aurélien used to commit patches himself traditionally,
whereas I am suggesting to adopt the workflow used for ARM and Power.

The underlying assumption is that such MIPS patches would not touch
generic code without explicit ACKs, thereby not breaking x86 code.

Also, as usual, the person needs to have been around qemu-devel a little
and beware of what common style/functional issues to look out for and of
what legacy machines/CPUs exist that might break when implementing new
stuff - having test images to verify would be ideal.

Regards,
Andreas