qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Crashes of qemu-system-mips64 and qemu-system-mips64el

From: Torbjörn Granlund
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Crashes of qemu-system-mips64 and qemu-system-mips64el
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:53:35 +0200

Aurelien Jarno <address@hidden> writes:

  I have installation running in qemu-system-mips with weeks of uptime
  without any problem. I have however tried the above with QEMU 2.1, and
  I have been unable to reproduce the issue.

I have never had these problems with qemu-system-mips. They only happen
with a 64-bit kernel on qemu-system-mips64 or qemu-system-mips64el.

  It's now running for more than 48 hours, and hasn't crashed yet.

Which version of qemu did you use for this experiment?  Please confirm
that you used a qemu in the range I claim crashes quickly.

This crashes for me with qemu 1.7.x through 2.1.0 under GNU/Linux and
FreeBSD.  Since my reports about this issue have not until now sparked
visible activity, I haven't tested any newer qemu release.  (I have
tried every qemu release in that range but not all (qemu release) x (OS
flavour) combinations.)

(I have a mips64 and a mips64el system running under qemu 1.6.2; the
current uptime is 52 days.  These systems are used for large daily
tests, thus are quite stable.)

  Could you give us more details about your host, especially if it is a
  32-bit or a 64-bit one? Also a cat /proc/cpuinfo would be useful as some
  instructions are enabled or not depending on the host support.

All my hosts are 64-bit x86.

I don't have the broken stuff set up any longer (2.5 month later) but
since my many attempts over the years trying to get a qemu post 1.6.x to
work I on many different pieces of hardware, the exact x86 hardware is
almost certainly irrelevant.  My hardware platforms are quite diverse.

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622