qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu-KVM: Virtual Machine Power Managment

From: Carew, Alan
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu-KVM: Virtual Machine Power Managment
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 14:52:02 +0000

Hi folks,

I am looking for feedback regarding work-in-progress or planned CPU power

management features for Qemu-KVM based Virtual Machines.

Looking back through the mailing list archives I did not find any discussion

or patches relating to the general problem of virtual machine power

management.

Currently the MSRs for power management are not exposed to a guest OS and as

far as I am aware no abstraction driver exists to facilitate acpi_cpufreq like

features on a guest.

The context for my query relates to deterministic power management at the

application level(non-VM), where in certain domains the workload is partitioned

on a per core basis(1:1 thread-core exclusive pinning) and based on current

workload an application thread can request a transition to a different P-State,

for example using the apci_cpufreq userspace power governor.

Are there any plans or previous discussion that I missed for exposing such an

ability or similar for Qemu-KVM based virtual machines.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.