qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Image probing: how it can be insecure, and what we coul

From: Max Reitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Image probing: how it can be insecure, and what we could do about it
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 16:00:28 +0100

On 2014-11-04 at 19:45, Markus Armbruster wrote:
I'll try to explain all solutions fairly.  Isn't easy when you're as
biased towards one of them as I am.  Please bear with me.

= The trust boundary between image contents and meta-data =

A disk image consists of image contents and meta-data.

Example: all of a raw image's contents is image contents.  Leaves just
file name and attributes for meta-data.

Example: QCOW2 meta-data includes header, header extensions, L1 table,
L2 tables, ...  The meta-data defines where in the image the actual
contents is stored.

A guest can access the image contents, not the meta-data.

Image contents you've let an untrusted guest write is untrusted.

Therefore, there's a trust boundary between image contents and
meta-data.  QEMU has to trust image meta-data, but shouldn't trust image
contents.  The exact location of the trust boundary depends on the image
format.

= How we instruct QEMU what to trust =

By configuring QEMU to use an image, the user instructs QEMU to trust
the image's meta-data.

When the user's configuration specifies the image format explicitly, the
trust boundary is clear.

Else, the trust boundary is ambigous when more than one format is
possible.

QEMU resolves this ambiguity by picking the first format with the
highest "score".  Raw format is always possible, and always has the
lowest score.

= How this lets the guest escape isolation =

Unfortunately, this lets the guest shift the trust boundary and escape
isolation, as follows:

* Expose a raw image to the guest (whether you specify the format=raw or
    let QEMU guess it doesn't matter).  The complete contents becomes
    untrusted.

* Reuse the image *without* specifying the raw format.  QEMU guesses the
    format based on untrusted image contents.  Now QEMU guesses a format
    chosen by the guest, with meta-data chosen by the guest.  By
    controlling image meta-data, the malicious guest can access arbitrary
    files as QEMU, enlarge its storage, and more.  A non-malicious guest
    can accidentally DoS itself, by writing a pattern probing recognizes.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention. This means that I'm even
more in favor of using Kevin's patches because in fact they don't
break anything.
They break things differently.  The difference may or may not matter.

Example: innocent guest writes a recognized pattern.

   Now: next restart fails, guest DoSed itself until host operator gets
   around to adding format=raw to the configuration.  Consequence:
   downtime (probably lengthy), but no data corruption.

   With Kevin's patch: write fails, guest may or may not handle the
   failure gracefully.  Consequences can range from "guest complains to
   its logs (who cares)" via "guest stops whatever it's doing and refuses
   to continue until its hardware gets fixed (downtime as above)" to
   "data corruption".
You somehow seem convinced that writing to sector 0 is a completely
normal operation. For x86, it isn't, though.

There are only a couple of programs which do that, I can only think
of partitioning and setting up boot loaders. There's not a myriad of
programs which would increase the probability of one both writing a
recognizable pattern *and* not handling EPERM correctly.

I see the probability of both happening at the same time as
extremely low, not least because there are only a handful of
programs which access that sector.

I'm not yet opposed to the "restricted-raw" method, but...

I think the above is a somewhat dangerous viewpoint to take with QEMU.
It is a bit of a slippery slope to start to assume what data guests
will write to the disks provided to them.  Even if the probability of
this happening is very low, with what usage we envision now, it is
still entirely legitimate usage for a guest to write data starting at
sector 0.

Then let's officially deprecate format probing, if we haven't done so already. That way, there's no excuse.

What I'm saying is that there are obviously no compatibility issues. There is no guest software which did write recognizable patterns (so far nobody provided a counterexample), and since format probing is deprecated (or should be), you have no excuse for running future guests in qemu without having explicitly specified the format.

And if you are specifying the format, Kevin's patches will not prevent the guest from making its disk a qcow2 image whatsoever.

Max