qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Better Cortex-M support?

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Better Cortex-M support?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 23:56:31 +0200

On 28 Oct 2014, at 12:43, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> ... GNU ARM Eclipse plug-ins (http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/blog/), and I'm
> considering, for the mid-term future, adding a new debugging plug-in to run
> certain tests under un emulator

I did the first steps towards this, I added a branch of QEMU as a sub-project
of GNU ARM Eclipse.

I fixed the semihosting/gdb problems, and I added some cosmetic features (like
some verbosity, accept to load image via GDB without -kernel, some option
aliases).

I also documented the build procedure on Windows/Linux/Mac and the intended use
cases:

http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/wiki/The_GNU_ARM_Eclipse_Plug-ins_Developer_Wiki#QEMU

Next I plan to add support for new boards, mainly STM32F ones, probably
starting with STM32F4-DISCOVERY.

I tried to make my patches as generic as possible, to easily contribute them
back to the main distribution, if anyone is interested.

I'd be happy if GNU ARM Eclipse QEMU would catalyse/concentrate development for
Cortex-M emulation.

> I think Francis Alistair [1] is working on STM32 support, search for Netduino
> patches.

I plan to analyse all existing solutions, and, if Francis agrees to contribute
his changes to GNU ARM Eclipse, I can consider them for inclusion.

Regards,

Liviu