qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Update on TCG Multithreading

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Update on TCG Multithreading
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 15:00:47 -0600

Mark Burton writes:

> All - first a huge thanks for those who have contributed, and those who have
> expressed an interest in helping out.

> One issue I’d like to see more opinions on is the question of a cache per
> core,
> or a shared cache.
> I have heard anecdotal evidence that a shared cache gives a major performance
> benefit….
> Does anybody have anything more concrete?
> (of course we will get numbers in the end if we implement the hybrid scheme as
> suggested in the wiki - but I’d still appreciate any feedback).

I think it makes sense to have a per-core pointer to a qom TCGCacheClass. That
can then have its own methods for working with updates, making it much simpler
to work with different implementations, like completely avoiding locks (per-cpu
cache) or a hybrid approach like the one described in the wiki.

> Our next plan is to start putting an implementation plan together. Probably
> quite sketchy at this point, and we hope to start coding shortly.

BTW, I've added some links to the COREMU project, which was discussed long ago
in this list.

Best,
  Lluis

 Tollbooth