qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] (no subject)

From: Jun Li
Subject: [Qemu-devel] (no subject)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 18:54:41 +0800

address@hidden
Bcc:
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2: Can create qcow2 image format on rbd server

On Fri, 12/05 18:01, Max Reitz wrote:
> On 2014-12-05 at 16:32, Jun Li wrote:
> >Currently, qemu-img can not create qcow2 image format on rbd server. Analysis
> >the code as followings:
> >when create qcow2 format image:
> >qcow2_create2
> >   bdrv_create_file(filename, opts, &local_err);  --> Here will create a 0
> > size
> >   file(e.g: file1) on rbd server.
> >   ret = bdrv_pwrite(bs, 0, header, cluster_size); --> So here can not write
> >   qcow2 header into file1 due to the file1's length is 0. Seems
> >   qemu_rbd_aio_writev can not write beyond EOF.
> >
> >As above analysis, there are two methods to solve the above bz as followings:
> >1, When create file1, just create a fixed-size file1 on rbd server(not 0
> >size).
>
> Should be possible by using -o preallocation=falloc or -o
> preallocation=full.

Sure. If bdrv_create_file(filename, opts, &local_err) create a fixed-size(not
0 size) just as using "preallocation=falloc or preallocation=full", it will
create a fixed-size file on rbd server. So it won't exist above issue.

> I can't say a lot about making rbd growable because I know near to nothing
> about rbd; but there are protocols which really simply don't support writes
> beyond the end of file, and where that's intended (for instance, while nbd
> somehow does support it when using the qemu nbd server, normally (strictly
> according to the protocol) it does not); so for these protocols, you have to
> use a preallocated image file or an image format which does not grow on
> writes (such as raw).

Here just want to use rbd_resize to realize rbd growable.

> Of course, while that may be a solution for nbd, it doesn't sound like a
> good solution for rbd, so writes beyond the EOF should probably be supported
> there (although once again, I don't know rbd well enough to judge that).

Yes, you are right. Also talked with stefan. Here just want to ask Josh Durgin
whether it has other solutions or rbd can support asynchronous rbd_resize.

Regards,
Jun Li