qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] TCG multithread plan.

From: Frederic Konrad
Subject: [Qemu-devel] TCG multithread plan.
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 15:47:38 +0100

Hi everybody,

Here is the plan we will follow:

We will be focusing - from the outset - on the end goal of multi-threaded TCG
in full system emulation mode. On the way, we expect this will ‘fix’ user mode.

The plan is:

* Create one cache per CPU as a first step. We can do more next and share a
cache.
* Update tb_* to add a pointer to their cache.
* Add atomic instruction support to the TGC (first on ARM).
* Make tb_invalidate work between all cache.
* Modify main-loop for multi-thread.
* Memory access (eg: for device) are not thread safe that need to be fixed.
Initial plan simply globally mutex memory accesses - this may be optimised
later.
* For now, irq handler for CPU seems ok but we need to check.

We will discuss this during the call tomorrow.

Thanks,
Fred