qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Can we make monitor commands identify BDS / BB by name cons

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Can we make monitor commands identify BDS / BB by name consistently? (was: Review of monitor commands identifying BDS / BB by name)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:12:58 +0100

Conscious design decision: Backend (BB) and node (BDS) names share a
common name space.

Enables a convenience feature: when a command needs a node, we accept
either kind of name, and a backend name is resolved to its root node.

Should not be confused with a command that can work either on a backend
or on a node.  There, a backend name resolves to the backend, not its
root node.  Can't point to an example offhand.

Let's concentrate on the "command needs a node" case.

As we saw in my review of monitor commands, we have two different
conventions there.

* Single name

  Within BlockdevOptions objects (used by blockdev-add), we use a single
  string member, with a name that explains its role.  Actually, the
  member is an anonymous union of string and BlockdevOptions.

  Example: a BlockdevOptionsGenericFormat object (used for format "raw"
  and others) has a member @file that may name a backend or a node.

  Example: a BlockdevOptionsQcow2 object (used for "qcow2"), has a
  member @file as above, and a member @backing that may again name a
  backend or a node.

* Pair of names

  Elsewhere, command argument objects have a pair of optional members,
  of which exactly one must be present.  One of them must name a
  backend, the other must name a node.  The former is commonly called
  @device, the latter @node-name.

  Example: block_passwd parameters @device and @node-name.

I'd very much like some consistency here.

As Kevin pointed out, you can't easily change BlockdevOptions to the
"pair of names" convention, because an anonymous union can have only one
object member, and that's taken by BlockdevOptions.  If you want us to
adopt the "pair of names" convention, you need to come up with a way to
use it with BlockdevOptions.

I want us to adopt the "single name" convention instead.  Therefore, I
need to come up with a way to use it with the command argument objects
that currently use "pair of names".  The problems there are
compatibility and discoverability.

Four ways come to mind:

1. Extend @node-name to accept backend names, deprecate @device

   @node-name becomes mandatory except in deprecated usage.
   Nevertheless, it remains optional in the schema, which is confusing.

   For discovery, you first have to try whether the command accepts
   parameter @node-name.  If no, you have a QEMU predating node names,
   and you need to use @device.  If yes, you need to try whether the
   command accepts a backend name as argument for @node-name.  Involves
   defining a backend.  Awkward.

2. Extend @device to accept node names, deprecate @node-name

   @device becomes mandatory except in deprecated usage.  Nevertheless,
   it remains optional in the schema, which is confusing.

   We're stuck with a bad parameter name: @device.

   For discovery, you need to try whether the command accepts a node
   name as argument for @device.  Involves defining a node.  Almost as
   awkward.

3. Add a new parameter, deprecate both old ones

   The new parameter is mandatory except in deprecated usage.
   Nevertheless, it's optional in the schema, which is confusing.

   Discovery needs to check which of the parameters the command accepts.
   Less awkward.

4. Add a new command, deprecate the old one

   Quick search for commands to deprecate: block_passwd, block_resize,
   blockdev-snapshot-sync.  Not really bad.

   Discovery needs to check query-commands for the new command.  Easy.

Any objections to #4?