qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] global_mutex and multithread.

From: Frederic Konrad
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] global_mutex and multithread.
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:51:28 +0100

On 15/01/2015 12:12, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
[now with correct listserver address]

On 15/01/2015 11:25, Frederic Konrad wrote:
Hi everybody,

In case of multithread TCG what is the best way to handle
qemu_global_mutex?
We though to have one mutex per vcpu and then synchronize vcpu threads when
they exit (eg: in tcg_exec_all).

Is that making sense?
The basic ideas from Jan's patch in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/118807 still apply.

RAM block reordering doesn't exist anymore, having been replaced with
mru_block.

The patch reacquired the lock when entering MMIO or PIO emulation.
That's enough while there is only one VCPU thread.

Once you have >1 VCPU thread you'll need the RCU work that I am slowly
polishing and sending out.  That's because one device can change the
memory map, and that will cause a tlb_flush for all CPUs in tcg_commit,
and that's not thread-safe.

And later on, once devices start being converted to run outside the BQL,
that can be changed to use new functions address_space_rw_unlocked /
io_mem_read_unlocked / io_mem_write_unlocked.  Something like that is
already visible at https://github.com/bonzini/qemu/commits/rcu (ignore
patches after "kvm: Switch to unlocked MMIO").

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the reply.

As I understand the idea of Jan is to unlock the global_mutex during tcg execution.
Is that right?
So that means it's currently not the case and we won't be able to run two TCG
threads at the same time?

About the RCU, is there a lot of device which change the memory map?

Thanks,
Fred